Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Outdoor Wood Furnace Information

I finally finished the installation of my outdoor wood furnace and I love it. I am using it to heat my hot water and saving a bundle of money. I have the furnace pretty well figured out. Every day around 3:30 I load the furnace with fifteen pieces of split firewood and that's it.

I am saving all of my large unspliled logs for the colder months when the heat is needed. I tried putting A large log in and it lasts for 2 days. I just love filling the furnace with wood. I actually look forward to it. My daughter loves helping me fill it too. The dealer says that I will probably burn around twelve cords of firewood per year. That's not bad at all considering my oil burner was burning 300 gallons per month.

I chose a furnace by Sequoyah Paradise called "Whispering Pines". They claim that it can heat a well insulated area up to 8000 sq. feet. My home is only 3000 sq. feet so I feel safe that it will be adequate during the coldest months. The total cost for the furnace was $7100. I buried 130 feet of 1 inch insulated pex pipe at a cost of $990. I rented a core drill to make a hole through my 22" stone foundation for $170.

The interior installation cost for the pumps, fittings, interior pex pipes, valves and 50 plate heat exchanger was $850. The cost for the electrical wire, switches and other misc parts was $350. To top it off I had to spend $220 for a 4 foot stove pipe and cap for the chimney.

I took some pictures of the outdoor wood furnace and the final installation.

Click-here-for-Pictures@blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment